1. Q: What is the purpose of the Reading Meadow?
A: The Meadow strives to provide a cozy and fun atmosphere for its members to share their reading experiences! It also
provides diverse opportunities for members to discover new authors and reading genres!
2. Q: What is a Meadow Pick and how are they selected?
A: A Meadow Pick is a novel that wins the popular vote at the polls. Everyone reads the Pick and competes to win the
opportunity of selecting 5 Themes for everyone to vote on. The winning theme will be the basis of the next set of
nominations given for our next Pick.
3. Q: Why do I have to be subscribed to the Reading Trivia Meadow?
A: The Trivia Meadow is where all Trivia Quizzes for the Meadow Picks take place. All replies in the Trivia Meadow
go directly back to the sender and not to the rest of the Meadow. When you win a Trivia Quiz, you win the chance to select
the next 5 Themes for everyone to vote on.
Furthermore, if you nominate the winning novel based on that Theme, you get to create the Trivia Quiz for that novel!
Keep an eye out for **Pop Trivia Games** in the Trivia Meadow as well...
4. Q: What are **Pop Trivia Games/Questions**?
A: Pop Trivia Games are mini-trivia games that gives everyone a chance to win extra points towards the next Trivia Quiz
(keep an eye out because you never know when they'll appear!). Whatever points you win by the time of the Quiz get added
to your score so you have a better chance of winning.
To make the trivia fair, your points will only be good if you can get a passing score on the quiz. That passing score
will be determined and announced prior to the Trivia Date. If you return an incorrect reply, you will lose the game and
not gain those points.
Note: These points will only be good if you participate in the Trivia Quiz.
5. Q: What is the Meadow Bank?
A: If any points go un-won on a **Pop Trivia Game** after the specified time frame, those points are deposited into the
Meadow Bank. The points from members that leave the group are also deposited into the Bank.
At some time prior to the Meadow Trivia a **Meadow Bank Game** will be posted. The winners of that game, will win all
the points in the Bank, as announced! If any of the points in the Meadow Bank go unclaimed by the date of the Trivia, they
default to the moderators.
Hint: All **Meadow Bank Questions** will be on Meadow History Picks...
6. Q: What are Meadow History Picks?
A: Meadow History Picks are all of the previous Meadow Picks.
7. Q: What is the Meadow Spotlight?
A: Spotlight questions give everyone a chance to "Step into the Spotlight" and ramble if you like in your response to
the question. Anyone can ask and answer Meadow Spotlight Questions, just indicate it in the subject of the message when you're
8. Q: Do we discuss only Meadow Picks in the Meadow?
A: No! We discuss any and everything we're reading in-between! We have loads of fun!
9. Q: What is the Meadow Grading Scale?
A: This is a scale used to grade any and all the books we read. It's a great way to give everyone your overall summation
on a book, whether it's a Meadow Pick or not. This scale will be sent upon your subscription to the Meadow.
10. Q: How long do we usually have to read the Meadow Picks?
A: The trivia date is always set at least 4 weeks from the date the Pick is announced, so we all have plenty of time to get
it and enjoy reading and discussing it.
11. Q: What is spoiler space?
A: Spoiler space is space left at the beginning of your email message that indicates that you are about to discuss revealing
details on a book, in other words "spoil" it for some who may not be reading it yet.
We ask that spoiler space be used when discussing Meadow Picks prior to the Meadow Trivia, as some members may not be
reading the Pick yet.
**It is extremely helpful to post the chapter you're up to as well, in case someone's
not that far into the book yet.
12. Q: What happens if I decide to just lurk in the Meadow?
A: Mainly due to limited membership, the Meadow does not support Lurking. We should all be able to benefit from each
other and the purpose of the forum. The other members of a group get no benefit from Lurkers, therefore, Lurkers will be unsubscribed
from the Meadow at the discretion of the moderators if they have no desire to contribute and be an active member.
This is made clear prior to subscription as it is listed on all invitations to the Meadow and also on the Reading Meadow
13. Q: What happens if I miss more than 2 Meadow Picks?
A: The Meadow has a 4 out of 6 rule in order to maintain structure. This discourages the members that have no real interest
in the other members' selections. After all, that is a main part of the purpose of the Meadow, to open up new reading possibilities
The 2 grace Picks are available for busy times, if you just want to take a break, etc. But, please don't make us have
to keep track!!! LOL You'll know who you are... Members who ignore the Meadow Picks will also be unsubscribed if they have
14. Q: Am I allowed to select any type of Themes when I win the chance to select the next set?
A: Yes! Any genre is fine, that's the point of the Meadow!
15. Q: When are we allowed to start discussion on the Meadow Picks?
A: Discussions can start whenever you start reading the book! Just remember to use spoiler space.
16. Q: What are the Meadow "Tales"?
A: A Meadow Tale is a *short* story made up from contributions from 4-6 members of the group. The moderators take
volunteers on a "first come, first serve" basis, and then sets the order each person will write in.
The first person gives the beginning and the title, and then each person adds to the story using the title as a guide!
We have losts of fun with these, as we never know where the story is going to end up!
17. Q: In addition to playing the Pop Trivia, are there any other ways to win points?
It's Your Birthday- you get 100 bonus points on your birthday! Just send the date to one of
A: Yes! There are several ways to earn points beyond the 40 point cap-off previously mentioned. Most are listed
below, but keep your eye out for plenty others!!
- Spotlight Meadow Member (SMM)- every few months the Meadow moderators recognize a member on
the basis of overall group participation. The reward is 50 extra points toward the next Trivia Quiz and a "mystery reward"
in the mail!
- "Mega" Spotlight Meadow Member (Mega SMM)- same criteria of the SMM to win, but for recognition of long-term
members. It's done sporadically at the discretion of the moderators and the winner also gets a $10 bookstore gift certificate
from the moderators!
- Posting Bonus- At
random intervals the moderators will award the member who has contributed the most ON-TOPIC posts in any given day, week,
or month, a 45 point bonus! You never know when, so contribute, contribute, contribute!
- Meadow Tales- if you volunteer to contribute in one of the tales, you earn an extra 20 points towards
the next Trivia Quiz!
- Live Pop Sessions- keep an eye out for a chance to meet in our chat room and win up to 50 extra
points (sometimes more) playing trivia "live"!
- History or Suggestion Corner Picks- whenever you read a novel from our Meadow History or one suggested
by another member in the Suggestion Corner, you can win 50 extra points towards the next Trivia Quiz! Just
e-mail one of the moderators when you're done!
- Bonus Book- each month the moderators will announce a
"bonus" book. Members that read the book after it's been announced can earn 75 bonus points toward the next
Trivia Quiz by either sending a detailed review to the group or e-mailing the moderators for a mini-quiz! Note:
The "bonus" book cannot be read in the place of the regular Meadow Pick.
- "Favorite Review"- at the end of each Pick, members get the opportunity to express their opinion on it
by writing a review. Each member earns 15 points for submitting a review. The group then votes on the reviews and the winner
wins another 30 points towards the next Trivia Quiz!
- Refer-a-Member- if you refer someone to the Meadow, you will receive a 50 point bonus on their 30
day anniversary! (Provided this person does not leave or get unsubscribed for lurking prior to their 1 month anniversary)
- Pop Stumpers/Challengers- keep
an eye out for these games in the Trivia Meadow! If you prove un-stump-able or beat the challenge, you earn extra points as
18. Q: How can I find out about previous discussions in the Meadow?
A: The archives are available to members. Feel free to visit the Reading Meadow homepage at Yahoo Groups and peruse the
archive history to see what's been discussed in the Meadow.